Monday, October 15, 2007

Meet Christine Prescott, Ward 5

AGE: 56
OCCUPATION: Self-employed facilitator
MARITAL OR PARTNERSHIP STATUS: Married, 34 years
EDUCATION: University of Oregon, Lewis and Clark Northwestern School of Law, Western Evangelical Seminary, George Fox Evangelical Seminary
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: Cashier, University of Montana's University Center Bookstore; pastor, ordained by American Baptist Church; trial and criminal defense attorney, Multnomah and Washington counties, Ore.
MILITARY EXPERIENCE: None.
PUBLIC SERVICE: Missoula Public Library board of directors, Montana State Library’s board of directors, Habitat for Humanity.
PARTY AFFILIATION: Democrat
ENDORSEMENTS: Missoula Independent, Missoula County Democratic Central Committee, Missoula Area Central Labor Council, City Councilman Dave Strohmaier, City Councilwoman Heidi Kendall, Sen. Ron Erickson; Chamber of
Commerce rating: 1.5 of 3.0.
Questions and answers

What qualifies you to be on the City Council?

“I think having been an attorney, especially a trial attorney, gives me the ability to look at proposed ordinances, to look at things that have been prepared by the city attorney and see what they say. I want to look at the issues as they come up, from all sides, be open about everything. So neither the “grumpies” nor the “friendlies” know what side I'm going to be on.”

What are the best and worst things the City Council has done in recent years?

“I think the worst thing that they've done is to allow decisions to be made and then allow people to bring them back up again. The people who lose bring it back up until they win and they shouldn't be allowed to do that.

“The best? I think the city is pretty healthy in terms of zoning and planning and I think it's sometimes a struggle, but the City Council has really tried to help Missoula grow in a healthy way.”

What one thing would you most like to accomplish as a member of the City Council?

“I would like to help Missoula continue to be diverse. I would like to help keep it a place that not only rich people come to, a place where real people can live. I want to keep it healthy as it grows.”

What can the city do to attract better-paying jobs?

“I think it's outside the City Council. Some jurisdictions have economic development coordinators to try to tell businesses how good it is for them to be here. I think that's all the city could do. Try to make sure that there are places for businesses here, something that's compatible with Missoula. Try to lure them with who we are.”

What should the city do to encourage the development of more affordable housing?

“I would like to get the whole development community together -- developers, contractors, realtors, bankers, nonprofits, and the city government -- to decide what is best for Missoula. We need to keep our rivers clean. We need to make sure people have access to recreation and keep our open space. We need to keep it the way we want it to be.”

Should Missoula endorse a troop withdrawal from Iraq? Why or why not?

“I think that we're doing it the right way. We went to the people and I think what the people vote for is the way it should be. I hope it passes. I will vote for it, but I would also respect it if the majority of people vote against it."

What is Missoula’s most pressing traffic problem and where should the city turn for the money to solve it?

“I think that is the most pressing traffic problem ... where do we get the money? A lot of people are opposed to the transportation impact fee, but I am not. I think that it's part of the council's job to press the state senators and representatives to give us more options. We can't count on federal money to pay for everything because it's going to decrease.”

Should the city encourage or discourage more housing in existing city neighborhoods? Why or why not?

“The dreaded 'I' word. My opponent has said she's going to vote no on 'infill.' My position is: How do you know you're against it until you know where it is? You don't want to cram houses into every neighborhood. I think there's a way to do it responsibly and do it in a way that fits with the neighborhood.”

Should the city limit the number of unrelated people who may share a house?

“That is an issue that should be dead. You can't enforce it. I'm more concerned about getting the students and the established neighbors get to know each other. So if the students are having a party or if there's garbage everywhere, people won't be afraid to knock on someone's door and compromise. I would rather see that.”

What specific problems in your ward would you like to see solved?

“I would like to see Hillview Way get fixed. I don't know what's going to happen with that. It would be nice to have a fix for Miller Creek Road. I would like to see more streetlights on Garret Street. Twenty-third Street needs sidewalks, and there are ongoing transportation issues. It's kind of the forgotten ward.”

No comments: